layout

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

On the Road Again! (Week 3)

Yay! this week Charleigh's pesky umbilical cord fell off...finally! Her doctor says she'll have an innie :)

Also this week, I went to see my doctor for the first time since the surgery. He removed my steri-strips (which were the only thing holding my incision together) and said everything looked great. He even released me to drive! PTL, I was getting crazy being locked up with no way to get out.

So, that weekend Jus and I loaded up my car, and I mean LOADED, and headed out on her first trip to Bama. One of the first things you realize when you become a parent is...you NEVER travel lightly anymore! We had her carseat, stroller, pak-n-play, diaper bag, bag for all her other things, my bag, Justin's bag...and I am sure some other things I am forgetting to name! So, far, whenever I take Charleigh anywhere she just sits in her carseat happily and after a while falls asleep. I assured Justin of this behavior and we set off for Bama. Wouldn't you know that 10 minutes down the road she started screaming! I mean that horrible cry that has a little vibrato in it. By the sound of things I wouldn't have been surprised if a masked man was back there torturing her. So, Justin immediately pulled over and we decided that I would sit back there with her for our trip. I took my place in the backseat (no masked man mind you) and she sat happily the whole way there. She was just lonely I assume.
Well, once we got there Charleigh got to meet all her other cousins that she hadn't gotten to meet at the hospital :) Here she is with Tatum (sorry it was the only picture I had and it was taken with my phone, Mom is supposed to be sending me more!) Tatum LOVED Charleigh. She kept saying that Chaw-leigh looks just like her :) and she asked to hold her like 20 times. So cute. Some of them where so excited to meet her and held her repeatedly...others were happy just to look at her and keep walking. One thing we did learn was that Charleigh fits in perfectly with the Shirley family...all 50 of us. We had her Pak-n-Play set up in the living room, laid her down for her nap, and she slept...while 20 other screaming, laughing, and crying kids ran by. She never flinched :)

On Sunday we celebrated Lindsay/Camden's baby shower and headed home at a decent hour. It was so good to see everyone again. It's different visiting now that we have a child. I get more excited for everyone to see her again and really sad to make her leave them :( We can't wait to go back when Camden is born!

Charleigh is changing so much it seems. I know if I, her mother, who is with her every waking hour, can see it, then it must be evident to everyone else out there. It makes me excited to see who she will grow in to and look forward to all the things she's learning how to do. But, really sad at the same time, I want her to stay little forever! I want to be able to cuddle her whenever I want...

One bad change that I've noticed is that she has all the symptoms of reflux (and although I didn't know it, explosive poo is a symptom...check...she has it). But she wasn't spitting up. I did some research and talked to my pharmacist friend and found out she has silent reflux. Basically it means that she DOES spit up, but she keeps it in her mouth and swallows it. Since this diagnosis I have watched her closely, I'll hear her burp, and I KNOW it should be a wet burp but nothing ever comes out of her mouth...but just a couple seconds later, I hear her swallowing! Ew, I know it sounds gross, but I think she is just a thoughtful child and doesn't want Mommy to have to clean up spit up all the time. Poor baby. So, I started burping her religiously, by rubbing, not by patting. And I'm having her sleep on an incline. It seems to have worked for the most part. I still notice some of the symptoms but much less often and, it doesn't seem to bother her too much :)

One very good change is that she is sleeping at night again. I'll talk next week about some different tricks we've used to get her to do that :)

The next post will be her ONE MONTH post! I can't believe it already.

No comments: