layout

Thursday, June 11, 2009

25 weeks, 144.5 lbs

Well last week started with a doctor's appointment with my regular OB, Dr. Mehta. These are usually the quick appointments, a little measuring here, a little chatting there. And sure enough that stuff went down, he said I measured 22mm and had gained 14 lbs. The 22mm part made me feel a bit better, I feel as if my stomach is 2 feet in front of me (maybe because everyone keeps saying, look how big you're getting!)...so to know that it actually measured just a bit small, assured me that it is a very "normal" belly. As for the 14 lbs., I think he is wrong! According to my measurements I've gained more than that! haha, I guess we weigh at different times of the day, maybe that is where the difference comes in?? Well, while we were there I let him know that my Sciatica had died down once again and the only complaint I really had was this sharp pain in the "middle of my butt" (kind of to the left). He felt around and as I pointed out the EXACT spot of the pain he said that my S1 joint (I think he called it a joint) was out of place. My dad had surgery because of this and he called it a vertebrae in his lower back...the one that had to do with the sciatic nerve...hmmm, it's all coming together now. So, even though I KNOW what the cause of the pain is, there is nothing I can do about it (of course) and when it really gets to hurting, I have to put pressure on it with my hand, which makes me walk funny and I really feel like one of those old ladies who walk around holding their backs...haha, a pregnant old lady at that! At this same visit my fears were realized as well, through all these ultrasounds and check ups they have always told me that my placenta was very low lying (too close to the cervix - where the baby comes out). I knew that we were looking for it to move, and it has...but only 1.5 cm. Dr. Mehta let me know that he was concerned that it hadn't moved more, and even though there may still be some time, I need to prepare myself for a possible c-section. As a matter of fact, he would schedule the c-section probably 3 weeks before my due date because he cannot risk me going into labor as the placenta would cause me to bleed profusely. Also, since she is SO LOW in there, he is afraid my labor would be very quick and there wouldn't be time to stop it before she shot out. haha, sooo...be praying about that. I don't know what is best for me, but whatever is best for Charleigh is what we will have to do :)

Well, as if that were the end of my painful adventures this week...for at least 7 days I've felt this weird kind of pain in my abdomen (all you moms out there stop laughing, it's not just pregnancy I promise). It wasn't the regular round ligament pains, or aching because my belly was growing. It was much stronger and wouldn't go away for a while. I felt as if I had done a million sit ups the night before and now couldn't move any muscles in my abdomen without moaning in pain. I just assumed this is how pregnancy goes and didn't do anything about it. Well, it's gotten so bad that I can't even roll over at night (which I have to do because of the stupid scoliosis) without tremendous pain! So, I finally called the high risk doctor and what do you know...it's just my luck...they diagnosed me with diatasis recti. Here is how the nurse explained it to me,

Nurse: "does it hurt really bad when you try to sit up from a laying position?"
Me: "YES!"
Nurse: "Does it feel like you worked out really hard and are so sore the next day?"
Me: "YES!"
Nurse: (asks about a million other questions to which I answer YES!)
Nurse: Well....(long sigh)
Me: (Oh crap!)
Nurse: This is not too common but some pregnant women do get this. It seems that you have diatasis recti. (of course I have no idea what that means) You know how your stomach muscles meet in the middle of your stomach and they stretch as the baby grows, well, yours rip instead.
Me: WHAT! My stomach muscles are ripping apart?
Nurse: Unfortunately, yes...but they are likely to go back together after delivery.

As comforting as that was, what could I do about this right now!!?? Nothing, of course! ahhh...is it just me or does it seem like my body is weirder than everyone elses...I've always got a new ailment to write about...this is not good for my paranoia.

Well, in other news we finally had our end of the year Chosen banquet for my bible study girls. It was awesome! The place looked great and we fed about 150 folks! I am going to miss those girls SO much but, our summer bible study starts on Tuesday...so I'll get to love on some of them there :)

Among all that chaos, I experienced my last day as a school teacher. I could tell that my kids wanted me to be sadder...but I was just so happy. I think I am not too upset because I live one stinkin' mile from the school, and you KNOW i'll be up there next year showing off my baby girl! I just feel like I'm still connected you know...Anyway, Pace High school is the most amazing place of work. I LOVE my co-workers, I love how things are run there, I love the passion that goes into everything they do, sports, clubs, academics...it's all just top notch. I am going to miss that place :(
On to better news...I finally got a mommy car! Here she is:
Seriously, I didn't realize how great it was to drive without your knees in your chest, having to change gears every 3 minutes and your legs at times falling asleep...but now, none of that. I have plenty of room, it's automatic and black with black leather interior (I love black on black because I secretly like to pretend I'm in the CIA).

Yesterday was beach day with Whit and Tiffani. As you can see in my belly picture above, I got a little crispy. Oops.

This week is one of the busiest of my summers...We head up to Bama for the Annual Shrimp Boil, I'll stay there a few days and go to my sister's ultrasound to find out if Charleigh will have a little girl cousin or boy cousin to play with, then mom and I come back to Pcola to start construction on Charleigh's nursery. In that time period, Joanna, Jon, Angie and Jackson are coming to visit and Charlie and Rachel are renting a beach house for all of us to stay in...whew! I seriously doubt I can pack all that excitement into one week! We'll see!

4 comments:

Tiffani said...

Christi! I can't believe your redness! You got way more sun than I realized. Are you in pain? I got some sun, but I'm pleased with it. I did miss a few spots here and there with the sun screen, and I'm feelin' it there. That was a fun day. Thanks for the invite!

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Christi! So I guess it's not totally bad news that you will have a scheduled C section 3 weeks before your due date! That means we all get to meet Charleigh 3 weeks earlier right?!? You have totally popped from last week to this week. You are adorable! Post some shots of your beautiful face as well for people like me who live so far away, and don't get to see you!! I love you, and miss you like crazy!!

Kristen said...

Woo Hoo for 25 weeks! Little Charleigh will so be sharing a birthday with Nathan! TRUST ME....a C-section will be wondeful! You waltz right on up to the table, plop down and say "get this baby out." Then, you have wondeful pain meds afterwards and you never have to suffer through hours or days of labor just to end up having one in the end anyway after all of that! It doesn't matter how she gets out, all that matters is she gets out and is healthy! Time is going by so fast and she'll be here before we know it! We can't wait!

Audge said...

Christi,
Wow, you have so much news from the doctor it seems!
All I can say is God made your body, and he formed you in your mom's womb too. So no mistakes right! Your pregancy is such a beautiful thing to be apart of and hear about.
When you have waited for something for soo long, it seems like you'll love and appreciate it sooo much more than if you got it after just one little prayer. But you were on your knees.
You have such a new life that is just around the corner, and it will never go back to being the same. But THAT is sooo exciting!
I love you and I can't wait to see your cute tan little belly and go cruisin in your CIA car!!

See you in less than a month!