layout

Friday, July 14, 2006

Speaking of patriotic.....

Well, it finally happened. I got called into Frank Lay's office this morning and he offered me the Algebra Teacher position at Pace High! Yayyy! I'm so a teacher now!

My God is so amazing. He provides everything I need. For instance, let's rewind to the beginning of this whole scenario. As many of you know, I was working at a software company, anxiously wanting to quit. And due to the fact that Justin was given a huge promotion to Outside sales in his company, I was able to. I was able to lay low for a few months while I figured out just exactly it was that I wanted to do. That was nothing but sheer blessing from above, just that time that gave me clarity. Well, I always knew that I wanted to be a teacher and I felt very strongly that I could do it but, at this point I was NOT willing to go back to school. Although, I was sure that I would have to, being that my degree is in Computer Science and not Education. So I kind of put that idea on the back burner. But for some reason (the conviction of the Holy Spirit) the thought kept coming up again, over and over. So finally I checked it out, and it turns out that God provided for me once again. With my degree I had every single class I needed to be a Computer science or Math teacher (since I have a math minor). Woah! I was not expecting that, you mean I wouldn't have to go back to school??? Wow, I'm in! So I started the application process. What some of you don't know is that in the middle of it Justin and I sat down and talked for a while. We discussed the issue of starting a family. Well, not right at the moment, but, in the next couple of years. So, would it be fair to accept a teaching job and then get pregnant and have to quit after the first year or two?? Would that be a tacky thing to do?? We decided that maybe we should put the teaching thing on hold. So I stopped the application process, kind of halfway through. Not even a week later I had a message on my answering machine that Mr. Lay wanted to interview me for a new math position that opened up...........WHAT?? I hadn't even put in my application with the board, in fact, I hadn't done really anything. I remembered that I had mentioned to him at church one Sunday that I was interested in pursuing teaching and asked for his direction on getting started. Never did I imagine it would be that little encounter that got everything going. So I must say that when Jus and I did too much thinking on our own, God stepped in and said, "No ma'am, here is what you are going to do". I love that. I need that. My Jesus knows me better than I know myself. He knows that I second guess every decision I've ever made. So, for him to provide a straight and narrow way for me in this situation is all the gift in the world! Praise the Lord. I know I wouldn't have done this on my own. Okay so here is where it gets funny.......the same day I got the call from Pace High, Justin comes home and tells me that he thinks I should still apply for a teaching position. Yep, he decided that putting that dream on hold would just be plain silly. We should live life for now and worry about babies and what not when they get here. I agree! So now I am in the fingerprinting, drug testing process and basically have to start my teaching duties and workshops in like 3 days or something!! ahhhhhhhhhh! I'm really nervous but oh so excited.

So here are the details. I'm teaching Algebra A the first semester. That means I teach three classes of the same exact material and then have a planning period. This means I only have to prepare one lesson a day, instead of 3 like most people! Wow, how lucky am I. Then, in the second semester I am teaching Algebra A and Algebra B. The A class (which I will have already prepared for the previous semester) is for those poor students who didn't quite make it through my class the first time. And the B kids will be those who did. Okay so now for the bad news, I'm a floater.....meaning I don't have my own classroom yet, YIKES! But being the new kid, I have to pay my dues. Although being a floater does have it's perks, I get a laptop!

Tonight, Justin and I are going out to celebrate! Go PATRIOTS!

1 comment:

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

YAY!!! Im sooo excited for you love!! You are going to be the hottest Algebra teacher Ive ever seen...at least we know the boys wont be skipping class!! haha!