layout

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Where he leads me, I will follow

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 - "26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him."

Okay so this teaching thing is scary for me, but for some reason I feel more confindent starting this career, with absolutely no knowledge or experience, than I have been in starting any computer job I've had. Weird I know! So i think I finally figured out why.........God does not call the equipped, he equips the called! Lord knows he definitely didn't call me because of my stellar teaching abilities or great background in the field, but instead, just like the verse above says, he called me (a lowly unqualified newbie) so that when he makes an amazing teacher out of me, we'll all know it was only by HIS power, not anything I could do. This way the world can see that he is making something of me that I couldn't have made of myself. It's the same way he offers us salvation and love. I'm not loved by God because I am valuable, but instead, I'm valuable only because I am loved by God! He wants me just as I am, all my mess ups and mistakes and things I could and should fix in my life. He offers ME love and salvation just like he offers Billy Graham. That's true unconditional love. It's hard to imagine that because there are little to know true examples of it on this earth today, it's human nature to be conditional. It's hard to believe that someone who knows my every deepest thoughts and faults would still think I'm worth it all. But, again my doubt is baseless. Even the disciples themselves had their sinful ways about them. Yep, although I think of them as these "Holier than thou" types, they were actually just as messed up as the rest of us. Peter was loud, obnoxious and often put his foot in his mouth, John and James were repeatedly shown as hot-headed and let their tempers get the best of them, and Paul (who was formerly known as Saul) was the worst persecutor and murderer of Christians before he was converted! If he can transform those guys into the amazing missionaries and pillars of our faith that they turned out to be........I'm anxious to see what he will make out of me. As I go into this new career I'm vowing to give him control. I'm walking into that school the first day as a missionary.............who just happens to teach Algebra.

1 comment:

Kerstin Joy Walling said...

Christi!!!
Whoever said you didn't have any experience in teaching??? What about the Fall Semester when we taught Intro To Comp. Sci. together? I'm sure that'll help and God must've planned for that to happen! I'm sure you'll touch many young students' lives through this...
Congratulations on your new career!!!