layout

Monday, November 02, 2009

Projectile vomitting anyone?


Well, I have to stop labeling these blogs by weeks because now everyone uses months to describe how old a baby is...so confusing. Anyway, here is what happened during Charleigh's 5th week on this earth :)

Things I've noticed about Charleigh this week: She now follows us with her eyes. Even from birth this girl has been nosey. If someone was in our hospital room talking, she would turn her head toward them, as if she was eavesdropping on their convo. But now, I can tell she SEES us. It's almost heartbreaking when I lay her down in her crib and she keeps her eyes on me the whole time as I'm walking away...it's like her little eyes are saying, "Mommy, don't leave me here!" But she doesn't cry so, I keep walking, I know it's better for her to not be dependent on me so, I just go into the other room and cry...haha! Also, she definitely recognizes our voices over everyone else. If someone is holding her, talking and playing with her and I say something across the room....she breaks focus and finds me! I love it! Is that selfish to say?

This week we made a lunch date with daddy and headed up to his office to show Charleigh off to all his co-workers. Although, they didn't seem too over-excited to meet her. Justin says he forces them to look at pictures of her all day long so they are kind of over it...:( But, they did like her and visited with her a bit. We will have to make weekly lunch dates with daddy a regular thing!
Charleigh also started laughing at ME when I do pat-a-cake with her! She would only laugh at my mom (Granny) when she did it, but would cry when anyone else tried. But now...she like when I do it too! Still cries when Daddy tries :(


We found out this week that Charleigh has thrush. Babies get this when their mother is given antibiotics during labor...anyone who has a c-section gets tons of antibiotics, and some mothers who deliver naturally do as well. Anyway, apparently the antibiotics get into the baby's system as well and kill all the bacteria, even the good stuff, which throws off thier balance of bacteria vs. yeast. Then, the yeast multiplies and creates a yeast infection in the baby's mouth. It shows up like a white film in her mouth. Anyway, she apparently had this for a long time before I knew it and while breastfeeding she passed the infection to me! Oh no! so we are both on meds :(

So, remember I talked about how I got scared that Charleigh might not be gaining enough weight?? So, my solution was to feed her until she could eat no more. Oh and I did. But this night my little darling decided to give a little bit back to me. We fed her her last feeding of the night, the only bottle she has during her day and the little piggy ate 6 ounces (that's a lot for a newborn) but, she just kept eating....So, about an hour later I go to laid her down for the night. She was still awake when I put her down so about 15 minutes later I decided to go check to see if she had fallen asleep, right when I walked in and peeped into her bassinet, I saw her gag and then projectile vomit spewed from every orface! Even her little nose. I sat her up ASAP as I didn't want her to choke and then hollared for Justin because I was scared to death. Coming from a baby that NEVER spits up, I couldn't fathom how she could throw up SO much at one time. So, we cleaned up her bassinet and changed her clothes and I just held her for a little while. I was shaken up but she was smiling...must have been a relief to her?? So, I finally got the courage to lay her back down and BAM, she did it again. The one seemed as if it shot across the room! I was frantic and called my mom to make sure she wasn't dying! For the next few hours I refused to lay her down, I held her upright in my arms and let her go to sleep that way...I just knew she was going to be hungry soon since she just disposed of all her dinner. Finally, Justin convinced me to lay her down again for the night and she did just fine. And she didn't want to eat again for another 7 hours! I guess all that was just extra that we fed her :( It was scary none-the-less.
Speaking of feeding, she has really started to put on the weight now! She's finally around the 8 lb mark...newborn clothes here we come!


We've gotten on a pretty good schedule these days. Every three hours we Eat, Play, Sleep nd then start all over again :) Then a night her sleep schedule is: bottle @ 8, put down at 9, asleep by 9:30, wakes to eat at 3 or 4, wake at 8. I can live with that schedule for now :)

Alright, so the one exciting thing that happened this week was MY BIRTHDAY! Charleigh and I met Auntie Audrey for lunch (at La Hacienda). It was there first meeting and I brought a bottle along so Audge could feed her! So cute!
So, I asked Jus if we could take Charleigh to a pumpkin patch to pick out a carving pumpkin or 3! So we did, I dressed Charleigh up in a homemade Halloween outfit and it was so fun to be able to be all kiddish during a holiday, we needed Charleigh to give us that excuse again :)
They had the cutest scene set up for picture-taking so we took advantage of it.
And you KNOW I had to include my favorite picture from the night...Charleigh's rebelious behavior has begun! Hehe! I love her anyway!
Then we headed to La Ha for my birthday dinner...we talked about somewhere nicer but...who am I kidding, I stinkin' LOVE La Ha! (Yes, I went to the same place for lunch and dinner, it was a GOOD birthday)
Justin thought it was SO funny to get them to sing to me with the funny hat...hilarious Jus, hilarious!

And I'll leave you with one more festive picture of my darling....ARG!

2 comments:

Mrs. J Manny said...

wow, you really do love La Ha. it is delish! dont you just LOVE getting to do all the kiddish things again! I feel like if jus and I went without a kiddo it would be weird, but now we have an EXCUSE!

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Poor little Charleigh, throwing up is no fun at all, I hate it! At least she felt better afterward though, right?!? I can imagine that would scare me as well, and make me just feel so bad for her! She just needs her auntie kristi to hurry up, come home, and hold her! That's what I think!!!