layout

Monday, January 09, 2006

Snap into a Slim Jim

I really have no idea why that is the title of this blog, you’ll find no references to Slim Jim’s, snapping, or the Macho Man in this post whatsoever………

Wednesday night was kind of discouraging. Justin and I teach a “Marketing” class at church with the high school kids. Our job is to make flyers for upcoming events, design T-shirts, you know, advertising stuff. Well, we started off alright but we soon drizzled down in our efforts. It seems that there’s not much you can do after you’ve designed two T-shirts (neither of which got any airtime), revamped the bulletin board 10 times, and design handmade flyers when only one girl in the class has any drawing ability. So, we ran out of things to do. It’s not that the kids don’t want to do something, or that we don’t want to give them something to do but……….we need computer access in order to design and print flyers, we need material to somehow bring Marketing into the Bible. I just feel discouraged about the whole thing. Justin and I began to wonder if we had just too much on our plates. There isn’t one night of the week that we aren’t going somewhere and doing something, not one night were there isn’t a responsibility we need to fulfil, and then we have Sunday morning Sunday school with the 10th graders (which I love). It takes a lot out of you after working 40 hours a week. We were just soooo excited to jump in and get involved with the youth, we just really have a passion for them and their salvation. I am not sure if we tried to take on too much though. Pray that God will give us endurance to finish our course. Maybe we will cut back next year, but for now, we have dedicated ourselves to this task and we WILL finish. I just hope we finish in a pleasing way. I don’t want to just finish the race by jogging in, but by sprinting with all my might……..I guess it’s good that we have dedicated all our energies to the kingdom, at least I know when we do finish we will be so exhausted that we just lay down at the finish line. At least my savior will know that I ran with everything I had. That motivates me.

Friday night was DATE NIGHT. I like it. As you can see above we don’t have much time to just enjoy each other……..but Friday Justin asked me out on a date. It started with our new found interest……Hitman (the video game) hahahaa, who would have thought I would love that game so much. Anyway, we got past the current level and then got ready for a wonderful dinner out. We went to Bonefish……which = Bang Bang Shrimp…….the love of my life. Well, behind Jesus and Justin of course! Haha. Besides the fact that the place was extremely too packed and we had to wait an hour before getting to eat…..it was fabulous. During our dinner I got up and went to the bathroom. While in there I saw this woman who had been talking to me while we were waiting to be sat. She asked how my dinner was going and we “bathroom small talked” for a minute. Then she got all serious on me……turns out she was a modeling scout from Orlando who wanted to sign me up….hahahah, no thanks! Been there, done that. Fun for a minute but…….I thought about this deeply when I was in high school when I modeled for Loreal, runway, none-the-less. Not that it wouldn’t be exciting, or that the money wouldn’t be great. And I do love to have my hair and makeup done and all that jazz but…….I really feel that I would have a hard time being successful in that business while staying successful for my Jesus. And nothing will prohibit me from being successful for my Jesus. Not that I am against modeling in any way, I even enjoyed it in college but, in order to make it a career I feel I would be tempted to give up some of my morals. Plus they put a 5’10” girl in 5” heels and had her walk up and down a 4 foot wide stage……in case you don’t know, clumsy is my middle name. I am just saving myself from inevitable embarrassment! Hahaha. Anyway, our night ended smashingly and I had the best time with just my husband. God has blessed us recently with the laughing bone. We laugh now more than we ever have, he’s just so stinkin funny. I love to laugh and even more, I love to make him laugh. This simple act is worth so many words to me. I thank God for putting us both in the spirit of laughter lately. I am reading the book “The Excellent Wife” and am learning to be truly grateful to him and for him. He is a wonderful husband and man, and I was made to be his helper in life. And I will strive to do just that. I will have to write a post with all the things I am learning from this book. Some aren’t easy to swallow, but they are all biblical which is why I will swallow! And follow.

Saturday Prissy and I went to the vet, turns out she has an allergic infection in her ear……..maybe it was the wicker chair she ate, or the chocolate chips that I accidentally spilled in her dog food (I thought I got them all out). Now she is on Roids!! My pretty little butch baby. Don’t laugh, she can probably bench press you by now! Then, oh glory, that dog finally got a haricut…….reallllll short. Haha, but the funniest part is when we got back to the house Justin decided that the ponytail part wasn’t short enough and that he would cut it himself. Now she has this chopped up looking ponytail and the hair behind it stands straight up too! Hahaha. She still looks cute.

Sunday was fabulous as usual. We taught about the Lord’s Supper and I was surprised to know how many people don’t know what it means and how seriously Jesus speaks of taking it in the right mindset. I know I haven’t always participated in it properly. We sang one song in the service that I really love:
“Knowing you, Jesus, Knowing you
There is no greater thing
You’re my all, you’re the best, you’re my joy, my righteousness
And I love you Lord.”
Yeah, that’s it! There is no greater thing. Who are we to have to priviledge to KNOW our creator. We hear people brag all the time about meeting a certain celebrity or actually KNOWING someone famous. How much more should we be bragging to know the very God who created the famous. It’s just beyond understanding. But when you grasp it even a bit, it’s an amazing song to sing.

Okay, on to lunch. We went to Cock of the Walk with Rachel (cause we miss her and Charles so much) and Kurt and Toby, Ben and Sam, Mama Fufu……turns out half the church was there! Then we of course went home to participate in our Sunday nap. Mine lasts an average of 2 hours and Justin lasts for 6……..but whose counting. It got late and we were hungry but have NO food at our house. Probably because we are NEVER there. So, I went to the grocery store where I ran into Ms. Joy. She came over and we had a great meal. Now Justin and I are getting back into our workouts. I’m meeting Toby today at the church gym, it’s fabulous, they got all brand new equipment and an indoor track, so I don’t have to fight off those scary men out in the real world. I hope we can fit this activity into our ever so busy lives!

No comments: