layout

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

To New year's, Solo cups, and walking backwards

So Friday night we went to the Ice Pilots hockey game. It was lots of fun, one guy broke the glass and we had a 30 minute delay, it was cool though. We even ended up sitting with Dr. Ted and Bennett, they added a great perspective on the game. After the game they were going to open up the rink for public skating, which is the main reason I wanted to go. And they did open it up, but I have never seen that many people wanting to ice skate in my life. We decided to plan it for another night. The next morning Jo and Ms. Joy called and said they were bringing over doughnuts and milk…….I wasn’t complaining! Then Sharry and Josh made it into town. Sharry and I headed to the bridal shop to try on a dress or two while we sent Josh and Justin to pick up some groceries for our fondue party that night. Not only did they succeed in their mission but they did it quite quickly, we attributed their time to Josh, who I hear is an avid grocery shopper. New Year’s was so much fun! We met Joanna at the bridal shop. She bought a wedding dress, Already! And picked out our bridesmaids dresses too (Agua with Yellow flowers) It’s going to be an outside wedding, so pretty. I don’t think I have informed my blog readers about my dilemma. Or should I say priviledge. I get to be in two weddings on one day!! Crazy I know. Kristi had her wedding planned for May 13th and Jo and James tried their hardest to find another date in their time frame to get hitched but, all sources pointed to May 13th……..so it’s a done deal. One wedding is a 3pm and the other at 6:30pm. I’m sure I can do it! I love to dress up, so this day should be extra fun! Haha, I just hope it is perfect for both the brides. Anyway, Then it was time to grab something to eat before the par-tay. Sharry and I voted for Red Lobster and by the time we got there and waited an hour, I was not a happy camper. I get reallll grumpy when I am hungry. We eventually got to eat and headed back home. We started up our new fondue fountains, one with milk chocolate, one with caramel chocolate, and one with cheese. Tons of people came and we had so much fun. Even my little audge and PJ got to come for a while. After we stuffed ourselves we decided to play Catchphrase, with a big group it is one of the funnest games alive. And we did laugh! We watched the ball drop (twice) and then all got our new year’s kisses (twice). It was great.
The next morning we staggered (because we didn’t get to sleep until after 1am or so) out of bed and headed to church. Then we had new year’s lunch over at Ms. Joy’s where she cooked us black eyed peas, for good luck. The next day (Monday) Justin and I both had the day off….I love it when that happens. We slept in and then went to Village Inn for breakfast. I let Justin buy a video game a blockbuster, even though I really didn’t want too. I’m glad I did, cause we had a lot of fun playing it. The concept of the game is really horrible. It’s all about a Hitman, but it does involve some strategy and problem-solving so I liked that part of it. Due to the fact that Justin doesn’t read the directions of the missions, I have to be there to decipher what we are supposed to be doing. We laughed so hard at that stupid game, especially when Justin got so frustrated that he strangled the guy we were supposed to be saving……….turns out the guy won’t get on the elevator Justin wanted him to. Hahahahhah! And now it’s today and we are at work.

Today when I was in the mall on my lunch break I saw the cutest little girl walking with her mom. If you are an avid reader of my blog then you know of my ambition to be a “Mall Mom” so I of course watched the two in envy. The little girl kept turning around and walking backwards, and this made me smile (for the first time today, after spending a not-so-exciting morning at work). I watched her walk this way for a while and continued to enjoy it emensely. But then she started to fall behind and this did not suit her mother well. She turned around yelled at the little girl and grabbed her arm so that she could ensure the girl would walk properly. I felt bad for the girl, all she wanted to do was walk backward, to enjoy this simple skill that she probably just grasped. And I picked up two things from this experience. Number one was there are sooo many different perspectives on one situation. I mean just think, there is the perpective of this little girl, bored from walking around the mall for hours with her mommy, trying to entertain herself, finally finding something she could do…….walk backwards, that’ll be a hoot right?? But then there was the perspective of the mother. Probably annoyed trying to fit her stroller through the clusters of people, perturbed because the little girl wanted to walk rather than ride in the stroller, and probably angered by having to tell the little girl three times previously to turn around and walk right. Her reaction makes sense if you look at it that way. It’s so important to see others perspectives. While the mom was obviously annoyed it might have been helpful for her to see the perspective of someone on their lunch break who smiled for the first time today because of her little girl walking backwards………Anyway, the second thing I took for that scenario was, to enjoy whatcha got. Kids have a way of taking the most simple things and having fun with them. Walking backwards………not only do you risk falling over an obstacle you can no longer see in front of you, but you slow yourself down also. Is it really worth seeing the worth in rewind?? May it is?? I should take all the little things I have been given and individually enjoy them. Funny how we can have a million blessings in our lives and still focus on the one problem we face at the moment. Makes me feel ingrateful. So on that note, I have a simple thing that I enjoy to share about: Solo cups!

Random thought, I really like to drink out of Solo cups. Weird I know! But here’s the deal, it’s not that I like the cup itself, it’s not like it has some advantage over any other cup. It’s just the feeling it gives me I guess. I’m trying to rationalize this in my head as I write. I guess it goes back to the fact that during holiday get-to-gethers or big functions in general, there are always Solo plastic cups. Blue or red, you take your pick. So, in turn, my mouth/head/taste buds relate that cup to fun times. I was just sitting here at work and happened to be drinking out of a Solo cup. Well, I finished my drink and went and got another can, normally I just drink straight from the can but, I had this perfectly good cup there, and it just has a different feel about it. Drinking from a Solo while I’m at work makes me remember when I was in Elementary school and we had our Christmas parties. That was always the best day because we were at this place where we normally do sooo much work but for that moment our only job was to relax, have fun, eat cookies, exchange gifts, and drink from Solo cups! Haha, so I guess drinking from this cup while at work, I kinda feel like it’s party day! Anyway, go grab you a Solo and enjoy your day! Or better yet, try it while walking backwards!

No comments: