layout

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Odyssey Aniversary!

Wow! What a weekend. It was awesome. So for those who do not know, every year Olive Baptist has Odyssey Weekend. Which is where a group of kids spend the entire weekend at a host home (volunteers from the church who offer their home, food and transportation) with an Odyssey leader (usually a college student who travels to Pcola for the weekend to lead lessons and what not). Well, Justin and I were the host home for the 9th grade girls (well, one of the groups of 9th grade girls anyway). These are MY girls. I taught them in discipleship classes on Wednesday nights and when those were over I promised them they could be at my house for Odyssey… and so they were. These are the most drama-ful girls you will EVER meet. Well, I guess they are just typical of teenage girls but I could never explain the sheer joy that came over me Friday night after our lesson. They were sooo non-typical at this time. So let me just tell the story. Everyone arrives Friday night around 6:30, 7ish.

They chilled out and played a while but then it was time to start our first lesson. It went fairly well, like most bible studies with teenagers do, a little distracted but not bad. And just when we thought we were done, and it was time to pray. Britney (our leader) asked for prayer requests and the journey began. Every one of those girls had something huge they were dealing with in their lives, one by one they each cried and poured their little hearts out. It’s so amazing how you can do this general little lesson and get little response and then by just asking someone to discuss something personal the bottom drops out! That is all they wanted, someone to ask them what they were feeling, someone to look at each problem they were facing and show them how to see it through God’s eyes. Our prayer session lasted 4 HOURS that night. And the greatest thing was not that these girls were weeping over their own problems, but that they were balling over each others’. Some were so hungry for the truth. Not just the truth of how much they are loved, but the truth in general. Whether it was bible stories they wanted to hear, or exactly WHY Jesus had to die………they weren’t just settling for what they already knew, but instead their hearts desired more…….It was such an innocent sweet passion for their Lord. This is how I know that Heaven is going to be awesome one day. Because no matter how wonderful my life is or how amazing my husband is or how exciting anything is to me at any moment………nothing EVER makes me feel like I do when I see someone hungry for God, when I get to talk about him, and when I get to be in a place where everyone is there acting like no one is there but God. Those truly are the most monumentally marvelous moments in my life. And I am so glad these girls were part of one of them.

Well, after the discussion ended it was like 2am so I went to join my husband in the warm bed he was already cuddled in. And surprisingly the girls went to sleep not long after. On Saturday morning Ms. Joy cooked breakfast pizza for us and we had another lesson. The girls were so good during the lessons. Dennis soon came over with the camera and the girls scattered like roaches…….they weren’t wearing any makeup and their hair wasn’t fixed, so we defaulted to the next best thing…the Prissy fashion show. Haha. Dennis filmed Prissy in a few of her outfits, one being her new Hawiian getup which is the most adorable thing ever. She has a grass skirt, coconut bra and a lei……..hahahahha! I HAVE to post a picture. We ate pizza for lunch and then headed to the beach to do another lesson before the concert at church that night.

We got to take some cute pictures but it was way too windy and loud to do the lesson out there, so we went to SurfBurger and attempted to do it there, but we ended up only suffing our faces with Chili Cheese fries.
So we decided to head to the church early and do our lesson there before everyone started showing up. Which was a great idea until we got there and EVERY door was locked. Who knew it was so hard to break into the church?? We eventually got someone to let us in and had a great lesson. Where we talked about how to deal with hurt and how to forgive. They talked about how every problem they have in their lives, they can put the cross between them and that person, meaning……look at the horribly unbearable thing Christ forgave you of (crucifying him on the cross) and your little quarrel doesn’t seem so important does it?? Oh I hope they really use that in their lives. It’s so sad how we take that cross for granted………how we forget to take responsibility for slaying the most perfect man who ever walked to planet……and we hold a grudge because someone stole our boyfriend, it’s ridiculous! After that the concert started, it was a band called FUEL. They were great, the lead singer was the cutest. My girls were in love and I was so glad they got to see that there are attractive men out there who will sing their hearts out to the Lord, and live their lives out to the Lord. They needed to see that. After the concert we made a Wal-Mart run to get supplies for crafting our T-shirts! Then we went home and got our Martha-Stewart on. Of course the main ingredients were pink and rinestones! We called ourselves the Lil’ Mamas, for no good reason, just cause we liked it! Well we had another lesson that night but I missed it because I had to go around my neighborhood with this little puppy who decided he liked my porch. A group of 9th grade girls of course wants to bring him in, so instead I had to find his home. Well, we were all exhausted by this time so we went straight to bed.

Sunday was mine and Justin’s anniversary! I got a dozen long stemmed red roses. It was so cute to wake up to the sound of little voices saying, “Happy Anniversary Tyners!” hahahah. I’m glad I got to start it off with them, I truly adore each one of them. God has amazing plans for those girls, wow, I cannot wait to see it! We headed to the rally at church and enjoyed more great music. A few of the kids stood up and expressed what they went through and learned during the weekend. I was so proud when some of mine stood and told of how they felt they belonged………I want them to feel that with me especially, I want to be there to comfort them and cry with them and laugh histerically with them and booty dance with them and shoot………EVERYTHING with them! I love them!

Well, after church Justin and I headed home and cleaned like mad men, only to find that Ms. Joy was planning to clean our whole house while we were out celebrating, we kinda ruined her surprise but, luckily for us, we hadn’t finished the whole house. So we scurried off to the Pensacola Little Theatre to watch “Barefoot in the Park”, it was a cute little romantic comedy. We laughed and cried and the whole theatre experience was just great. Then we came home to get really dressed up and tried to decide where to spend our anniversary dinner. We went through the obvious choices Jackson’s, Bonefish, Melting Pot. But we ultimately decided to go to a Hibachi Grill, we had our first date at a Hibachi Grill. Plus there is a new one right by our house we’ve been meaning to try. We thought it was quite appropriate. It is the perfect kind of place for us. It is so entertaining and a fun experience in general. It was great. Oh yeah, I know everyone is dying to hear what we got each other for our anniversary. Well, my gift wasn’t that great I gave Justin his choice between this new fancy handgun he has been begging for or a new wildlife video cam he has equally been fond of. I didn’t go an purchase either of these because I have no idea what or how to get them. So we will go this weekend and let him pick one out! Yay. Oh but here is the big news!!! I’m getting a car! Oh yeah, you heard me, the one I have been eyeing for a while now, well, Jus ordered it in like October in order for it to be here by our anniversary, but it’s late! So, I have to post picture of it when I get it! Yay. It’s the Solstice, never been made before so I’ll be one of the first, how exciting is that for a girl who has never had anything new in her life! Oh yeah. I cannot portray my excitement. This is what mine will look like: And he said he got all the upgrades it could come with, two tone leather and all! It will tentatively be here next week but Jus says they just don’t know for sure……….oh gosh, I don’t know if I can wait any longer! AHHHHHHHHHHH! I had the best little anniversary with my husband of one year. Can you believe it?? A whole year already. It’s gone by sooo fast. I love him more now than ever. I really do, some people just say that, but I not only love him more, I appreciate him more. He is amazing. He is such a hard worker, and he loves my Jesus with all his heart……..what more could a girl ask for? Oh goodness, I am SURE I left something out of this wonderful weekend, but I’ll post again if I think of it! Haha. I love you all. And I will leave you with my favorite quote from Odyssey weekend, “I’ve learned this weekend that I really want to be….uh…….what’s the word……oh yeah……..a role model.” hahahahha

No comments: