layout

Thursday, April 16, 2009

High fives all around!

Note to expecting mothers...the fetal doppler heartrate monitor is AWESOME! It came yesterday and I couldn't tear into that box fast enough. I turned it on and applied the ultrasound gel. I laid flat on the couch. I took a few breaths and prepared myself to "not" find the heartbeat since the doctor had warned me that I'd have to get good at using the thing. But, as soon as that transponder touched my belly....there she was! It said she was at 150bpm which seems normal...she's usually 160bpm when she's squirming and kicking around but I could tell at this time that she was sleeping (no movement for a little while). Speaking of which, she has been moving up a storm! I'm so excited to know it's her and feel her all the time...she's quite active, should I be worried? So, I called Justin and let him listen to the heartbeat over the phone, then my mom...haha. I was then afraid that the doppler rays would hurt Charleigh (not sure why I thought that, I'm paranoid I told ya) so, I put it away for a while. Then Justin called back a little while later and wanted to put the heartbeat on speaker phone for the guys in his office...we honestly think others care about this as much as we do :) Once Justin got home we broke it out and listened just one more time. I could tell that Charleigh was moving around before we started so it was harder to find her this time...Jus wanted to do it all by himself so, it was funny watching him chase her with that little probe, he would find it, listen for a bit and then she would move. I promise not to use it ALL the time...but it may get some definite use right here at the beginning. I really can't wait to listen to other little baby's hearbeats with it too! Like my sister's baby or friends...I'm taking it to church this Sunday to see if Susie wants to hear little Lucas's heartbeat!

Second bout of good news...the doc called and our Quad Screening came back normal! This is the bloodwork they do at about 16 weeks that tests for Trisomy 18, Down's Syndrome, and Spinabifida. I am SO glad to know that Charleigh is not at risk for any of these...
I started thinking that maybe, just maybe, God had allowed Justin and I to walk through our past struggles and to yearn for a child so badly that if he finally gave us one with a disability or disadvantage in life, we'd be ready...just goes to show you that I'm glad I don't make the plans around here.

I was really excited to find out that my first shower is being planned as we speak! And it's in one month! I know people don't usually have showers that early in their pregnancy but my teacher friends want to give me one before I leave (for good) and I will be leaving (for good) At the end of May/beginning of June so...good thing I already know EXACTLY how I want the nursery and such. Plus, I'm probably the easiest person to buy for...pink, sparkly, polka dots...you got it! I've got to register! Oh, scratch that last statement...I GET to register!! I'm so excited!
Better yet, Jus and I have GOT to start cleaning out the man room in preparation for ALL Charleigh's stuff. Where am I going to put the treadmill? We are seriously thinking about getting new floors (well, I'm thinking about it more than Justin...but he participates in the thought periodically) Mom's going to come down at the beginning of the summer so we can get started painting Charleigh's room! I can't wait to "unveil" it to everyone, I'm in love with the idea, hope it turns out as pretty as it is in my head.

3 comments:

Mrs. J Manny said...

oh my oh my, i cant wait to hear her. i always loved listening to kennedy. it made me cry every time, i just liked knowing she was in there and doin good. ill have to hear when im home in a couple weeks! and ill try and bring some mat. clothes. whatever ones im not still wearing. tear. i thought by spinrg/summer my regular clothes would fit and i went to switch my closet out last weekend, and most of them dont =( ill never be the same...but its worth it!

Susana M Kepner said...

WOW!!! You got a lot going on girl! That is awesome... I remember having that much energy; now it is hard to imagine I had that much energy at one point hahaha. I'd love to use your heart monitor thing - sounds exciting! By the way - sorry about my post I know it was heart stopping; believe me I was scared out of my mind!!! I hope you NEVER have that feeling. I can't wait to hear Charleigh's little (and fast) heartbeat. You do know that Tyler and Justin have already pre-arranged a marriage between our children... those guys crack me up!!!
Love you guys and hope to see you very soon - either at church or the hospital!

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Christi!! I am soo glad you guys definitely decided on the name "Charleigh" I love it! She is going to be the cutest little thing with a name like that! I also cant wait to see the loot you get from your upcoming shower and the unveiling of Charleigh's room! Your mom is so cute coming over to paint with you..
I miss you Christi..so much! I wish I were there to have lunch dates with you, and hear the excitement in your voice. I'm so excited for you and Jus. We love you guys and are thinking and praying for you way over here!!